How to Build Loyalty With An Angry Customer or Co-Worker
By Debra Schmidt
In every business, mistakes happen and co-workers or customers get angry. But when a problem is fixed properly and stays fixed--loyalty actually increases!
Here are five steps you can take to not only resolve the problem but also actually build loyalty with your co-workers and customers. In fact, you can use these steps to deal with anger and build positive relationships in all areas of your life.
1. LISTEN carefully to the person who is angry. Active listening requires a lot of effort and cannot be accomplished when you're distracted. You need to stop everything you are doing and give your customer 100% of your attention.
2. EMPATHIZE with the other person’s concerns. Let him or her know that you sincerely care about the problem even if you don't agree with their comments. One way to show you care is to thank that person for bringing the problem to your attention.
3. APOLOGIZE even if you are not the cause of the problem. When said sincerely, the words "I'm sorry" can eliminate as much as ninety-five percent of most people's anger.
4. RESOLVE the problem. Show your co-worker or customer that you are on his or her side and will do everything you can to help them get the problem resolved. If an employee in another department can fix it, help make the transition smooth by explaining the problem so they don't have to tell their story more than once.
5. NOW is the time to address the problem. When a problem is addressed quickly and with care, loyalty actually goes up.
The best way to handle a situation in which a co-worker is angry or upset is to remember the acronym LEARN and apply the five steps listed above. Then feel great about the positive difference you made in that individual's day!Hiring Metrics: Totally Useful or Totally Useless?
From HR Blogs
This is a real dilemma for me. On one hand, corporate recruiters clamor for metrics, but when I tell them what is necessary, their eyes glaze over. My advice to them is to be careful: you just might get what you wish for. You see, metrics attract attention. When competent people have competent metrics at...
Recent Blog Entries
JobDig provides eTreat every week as a free service to you.